Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Validation

So I was interviewing freshmen who'd applied to work as assistants on this research project of mine. It's about emotions. The first person to show up was a thin reedy ABCD math geek with eyes pointing in different directions -- superbright, superintelligent, but hadn't read the project description. The next one was a typical slacker sort, slumped all over the chair, vacant eyes, backpack thrown at his feet. Two in a week - I was considering delisting the project - then a third applicant emailed. Turned out to be a small bouncy African-American girl, big smile, wide-eyed. I launched into my brief spiel and to my very pleasant surprise she seemed absolutely transfixed by what I was saying. So I stopped to let her respond. Her words:

"Oh my God! I was just thinking as you talked, this sounds SO INTERESTING it sounds JUST like something I saw on Oprah!"

***

I told her that I thought it was cool that she thought it was cool, because there's no point doing research once you stop thinking it's cool. She accepted the offer on the spot.

7 Comments:

Blogger km said...

superbright, superintelligent, but hadn't read the project description

Arrggh. That's got to be the *most* annoying habit of about 80%* of all job applicants.

*purely made-up stat, but I seem to interview a lot of those people.

10/07/2007 1:29 AM  
Blogger ??! said...

so now you script-write for Oprah? way to go, masterji.

10/08/2007 2:09 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

km:
glad to know i'm not alone!

??!:
yeah, that's my moonlighting. the pay's okay but you should see the groupies.

10/10/2007 1:07 AM  
Blogger Revealed said...

Hahahahaha. So gimme tips for interviews for pity's sake.

10/11/2007 1:41 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

watch oprah.
the new plastics.

10/11/2007 4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're the dude, what with Oprah-esque research and all.

Hope all's well with you - no contact for a while, though I've been reading now and then. I remain the Drinker, but now in Dubai rather than NZ with Cambridge waiting for 08. Write sometime when you have a moment.

T20 World Cup was fun, no?

10/18/2007 5:03 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

ha! nice to hear from you again. you're really sheikin' it, eh?
heck yeah, t20 was a lark - but as you can see we're back to real life once more.
keep checking in.

10/18/2007 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home