Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Monday, December 17, 2007

Network externalities

Went and got a prepaid sim card yesterday - my first ever. Dropped six hundred rupees on the thing.

Which is why it seemed very wrong to me when I found I could neither make any calls nor send any messages; and the automated voice urging me to recharge the card told me in a flirtatious tone that my balance was forty five paise.

I wonder how they got to that specific number.

7 Comments:

Blogger Abi said...

Whoa! What a ripoff!

Now, which company is doing this to you? Or is it the salesperson's fault?

12/17/2007 5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they said your balance was forty two paise, I would understand. Forty two is the answer to everything. Why are they giving you three paise more? I don't understand.

12/18/2007 5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

abi:
totally a ripoff. i think it's both the company - vodafone, and the shop - ashrey consultants, central arcade, gurgaon. i've spent hours now both in the shop and on the phone with them and can confidently declare that they are a bunch of cheats - the lot of them.

lekhni:
good point. possibly because three paise is worthless, just like everything else they've given me.

12/18/2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger That Armchair Philosopher said...

you did something wrong of course. but you knew that right?

but wtf - prepaid sim cards are at 600 bucks?!?!

12/18/2007 3:25 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

tap:
heck yeah, and i'm swinging strongly back to my old position that the 'something wrong' was in getting one of the blasted things in the first place. hate cellphones.

12/19/2007 3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

dayum. are you going to follow it up? let us know. i had so much fun (NOT) trying to get one when I was there- the costs were atrocious, the post-paid ones needed all kinds of verification.. and I gave up and resorted to good old PCOs

12/21/2007 8:49 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

tgfi:
i went to a company store and was told to sink another hundred bucks into the thing. that did charge the card up some -- enough for them to fleece me for the duration of my stay.

12/31/2007 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home