Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Selling your soul

So now a town in Texas is changing its name to that of a satellite TV company. Specifically, the Address Formerly Known As Clark, will now be known as DISH. In return, they will get free satellite TV for ten years.

I'm wondering what channels they show, and what if the good citizens don't like the programming. What if the reception is bad?

I'm wondering who Clark was (was it the Lewis-and guy?) and how his folks will take it. Any counter-offers? Ten years of Walmart coupons?

I'm wondering what happens after ten years.

6 Comments:

Blogger kundalini said...

my own people did it to me
just coz they could
they sold me out
sold me out for a few shekels
and divided up my robes
they sold me out
its the oldest story
thats ever been told
they sold me out

2/11/2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

I still can't get over the ten years clause. It should have been "renting", actually.

2/11/2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger Salil said...

Hilarious stuff - but only in the USA.

Meanwhile, what if another town pops up around Texas and takes the "Clark" name? :)

2/13/2006 4:56 AM  
Blogger km said...

This is not the first time...remember when half.com pulled a similar stunt? The town got some not-so-insignificant revenue for doing so.

Still....DISH is a pretty ugly-ass name :)

krishna

2/14/2006 1:37 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

salil -- Funny! If this were in the Bay area maybe they'd go with Clark 2.0, but given that it's Texas, who knows? Head down to OK Corral, maybe?

km -- Ah, no, I hadn't heard about the half.com thing. I guess there's nothing new, is there? I'm just wonering what happens if someone else now decides to buy Texas. We could get treated to "Dish, Yahoo", "Dish, Waterhouse", "Dish, Old Man", "Dish, Om", "Dish, Pepsi (a)"...

The mind boggles.

2/14/2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger Murli said...

Yo, Amukh, welcome to the wide world of blogging!

You're making the rather far-fetched assumption that the town had a sould to begin with. Out west, souls dry up rather quickly in the desert heat. Before this there was the NM town of "Truth and Consequences" -- yes, named for the TV show.

See, mi amigo, the Corporation-As-Model has such a huge impact on the US society that just about everything is brought under that model -- government, education, religion,hospitals, towns, individuals.

Murli -- yup, that 'un

2/19/2006 6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home