Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Friday, October 13, 2006

In orbit

I: Have been tagged by Szerelem
You: Get to know the top ten (or so) most-played tracks on my playlist
The catch: Is that my poodle is always set on shuffle mode, so this list is no indication of my preference except that the tracks on the list, you know I like.

In reverse order, the list.

Tied at 4th
========
- Tore Up Over You: The Legion of Mary, disk 1 (Jerry stretches out for nearly twelve sweet minutes. I believe I posted about an incident involving this track, some time back.)
- Jodi Mishte Chao: The Bauls of Bengal, "Mystic Songs From India"
- Conga Brava: Duke Ellington
- My Best Friend: Jefferson Airplane
- Time: Pink Floyd (funny -- it was almost exactly sixteen years ago that I read an Eric Clapton quote that went, "When I was sixteen I wouldn't talk to you if you hadn't heard of Robert Johnson," and I thought, "Yeah, and didn't know the words to Time.")
- Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles

Tied at 3rd
========
- Bistirna Dupare: Bhupen Hazarika (this is the "Oh, Ganga" song)
- Asamaye: Anjan Dutta
- Mozambique: Bob Dylan
- Arabia: Garcia and Grisman, "Grateful Dawg" (much better on the DVD :-)
- Run-around: Blues Traveler, "Live From The Fall"

Tied at 2nd
========
- Lula Don't You Go To Bingo: Boozoo Chavis (from a compilation titled just "Zydeco")
- Self-Portrait in Three Colors: Charles Mingus
- Village Damsel: Indian Ocean
- Off Minor: Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane

Tied at 1st
========
- Better Git It In Your Soul: Charles Mingus (two from the same album!)
- Sayonee: Junoon


Hmm. If I had to comment on this, I'd say that the Bengali tracks are surprisingly over-represented, and I'm very surprised to see so few of the staples on the list. No Dead (I must have about ten gigs worth on the drive), no Garaj, no RRE, no DTB, no Miles. Funny. But then that's the whole point of random.

And in case anyone's interested, the one disk that's been on non-stop rotation on my player whenever I've been home for the last three weeks or so, is Dawg's Groove. Essential listening.

Anyway, now I'm curious, so I tag (for the first time ever), Wildflower Seed and Kundalini.

8 Comments:

Blogger wildflower seed said...

Thanks. You've given me a good excuse for trying out that podcasting thingy again.

Seeing that Mingus track at #1 reminds me of a time - listening to it with my cousin and his wife, after putting away a really smooth one. Oh man! By the time that rolling finale comes along, we were all bobbing vigorously. My cousin's wife who was listening to Mingus for the first time, turns to me and goes "What *is* this music?"

One word - AWESOME!

10/13/2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

oh absolutely! i personally can't ever tell if i prefer git it, fables of faubus, or goodbye pork pie hat, but then that's the kind of choice one likes :-) what an album.

10/13/2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger km said...

Sayonee is such a terrific song. A real genre-buster, but sadly, no other band - not even Junoon themselves - took it any further. I mean, that is the only genuine, sub-continent sound.

BTW, round about '89/'90, another Paki band was playing electric-Hindustani jam music. Any idea what I am talking about?

10/13/2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

no wait - are you disavowing bappi lahiri?!

i agree that sayonee is absolutely outstanding. however, on that album, "yaar bina" seizes me even more, every time. lots of great tracks there, and you're right, every other junoon album has been a disappointment.

and sorry, the only other pakistani acts i know of are nusrat fateh ali khan, abida parveen, and nazia hassan :-D

10/14/2006 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tr:

lovely. I don't recognize any of the tracks of course (except for the Beatles thingie). Does that permanently disqualify me from commenting on your blog?

n!

10/18/2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

n!:
not at all - what's the point of indoctrination if there never be no newbies? (but nevertheless, if you didn't recognize any but one track listed, why the "lovely"?)

10/18/2006 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

because they sounded lovely. because i didn't recognize any of the tracks. because.

n!

10/18/2006 12:18 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

wait till you hear them :-D

(start with the dtb / peter rowan "land of the navajo" in the "fed whiskey" post. don't try the garaj track in the tibbcp post unless you like stranvinsky (as well as shostakovich).

10/18/2006 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home