Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Friday, June 23, 2006

The Messenger

Yesterday morning I was on my exercise cycle doing my thing when I noticed we had an uninvited visitor marking time on the window pane.


He looked kind of incongruous there, especially since I know there are a few of his kind who hang out near the living room balcony, at the other end of the apartment. It seemed to me that he might have lost his way; didn't really want to be there. His body language was kind of negative, especially the way he marched back and forth, back and forth, across this particular window (the central one in a bank of five).

I watched him for a while, as my feet went round and round in a cycle of their own, the two of us doing our disjointed pas-de-deux. He cut an interesting picture, especially as he traversed the middle of the pane. Then it struck me, his appearance there was more than esthetic. It was metaphorical too, on a certain level. At any point in time, how many of us are there, who are not feeling:

Framed?


(Badly?)


Cornered?


And up for a spaceship kamikaze?

12 Comments:

Blogger kundalini said...

great post.

(btw, exer-cycles are bad for the knees)

6/23/2006 9:50 AM  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

Pedaling hard and going nowhere? Yup, I hear ya.

6/23/2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger bandafbab said...

are you referring to grad school?

He looked kind of incongruous there. It seemed to me that he might have lost his way; didn't really want to be there. His body language was kind of negative, especially the way he marched back and forth, back and forth.

6/23/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger km said...

And somewhere in the Ant Universe, the ant-blogger writes his funny post about a huffing, puffing stationery human.

(BTW, K maybe right - I switched to ellipticals and knee pain vanished almost instantly. But YMMV.)

6/24/2006 2:26 AM  
Blogger km said...

I will not confuse STATIONARY for STATIONERY

I will not confuse STATIONARY for STATIONERY

I will not confuse STATIONARY for STATIONERY

6/24/2006 2:27 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

kundalini, km:
thanks for the tip. everything's bad for something, isn't it? right now this is the most convenient and effective solution for me, so at least for the moment, it's what i'm stuck with. (km: twas a wasp, but yes, it's the principal of the thing.)

vb, bandafbab:
you guys have been talking to each other again, haven't you?

6/24/2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

In a good mood, my comment might've read somethig like: The Story of Life is more like what this ought to have been called. But, having read your comment about the eggs, I guess I won't say any such thing :-)

6/25/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

how about a compromise, and settle on "the meaning of omelette"?

6/26/2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

No, sir, I'm not settling for any such thing. Lasting truce can be reached only if you go and try making those wretched eggs :-)

6/26/2006 3:51 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

aiyya, that will be very lasting indeed.

6/26/2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Raghav said...

the pics really added to the post
nice

6/27/2006 3:00 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

thanks, raghav. the pix *were* the post, to my mind.

6/27/2006 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home