Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Thursday, July 06, 2006

A million mendacious mendicants

A phrase that popped into my head randomly some time a few days ago. Sounds good, even without a context.

Last week I read From Amritsar To Lahore by Stephen Alter. Then I read Two Lives by Vikram Seth. Tonight I will start Red Dust by Ma Jian.

And the tune in my head is Plaisir d'Amour. I have an internal controversy over the lyrics to this song. Do the two lines rhyme or not? Better if not, methinks. That's my recollection anyway.

And no, I don't feel like posting any links right now.

8 Comments:

Blogger scout said...

Oh I wanna read two lives too. Only, I can't afford it at the moment. Must make rich friends soon :D

7/07/2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

can't you pick it up from a library somewhere? or borrow it from someone when you're back in delhi?

7/07/2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger km said...

A million mendacious mendicants is an apt description of Banaras, btw. Or is that a million tenacious mendicants?

Isn't Stephen Alter the brother of Tom "Obligatory Gora Guy" Alter? How is that book?

(Scout: your taxes fund your local public library. Get to know it well.)

7/07/2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

both, i guess.

i suspect the alters are indeed brothers as you say, although i caught no evidence in my reading to directly support the claim. the book is good -- in the sense that the topic is interesting and he lets the interestingness come through without interference. hence good.

7/08/2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Hmm, and the post reads like a James Joyce novel :-)

7/08/2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

"Beware of monosyllabic responses" - old, jungle saying :-)

7/08/2006 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"or get used to them"... old jungle-women saying. :-))

7/09/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

ghost:
yes i meant yes this post reads like one yes james yes yes.

1:
yes, yes!

7/09/2006 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home