Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ships of fools

From the NYT open thread on election irregularities:

  • 6.

    North Beach San Francisco:
    Using the Offical Ballot Marker…a cheap version of a Sharpie…I discovered my selections bled through to the back of the ballot. Both sides of the ballot had choices.
    I immediately pointed this problem out to the young Pole Inpsector. Regardless, she he had me feed my five pages of ballots into the reader.
    Page One, which had the California State Offices, was refused for being Over Voted. The Poll Inspector was distracted for a moment as the pole worker fed page one into the reader again.
    The Inspector returned looking for the suspect page…and then chastised the worker for feeding it through again. The page would be discouted on the second attempt!!

    Sorry Phil!

    Jerry, I hope you can help Oakland better from your new higher perch!

    <....>

    — Posted by William Blum


Hey Bill, didn't ya know:
Standing on the moon
I see the battle rage below
Standing on the moon
I see the soldiers come and go
There's a metal flag beside me
Someone planted long ago
Old Glory standing stiffly
Crimson, white and indigo - indigo

I see all of Southeast Asia
I can see El Salvador
I hear the cries of children
And the other songs of war
It's like a mighty melody
That rings down from the sky
Standing here upon the moon
I watch it all roll by - all roll by

So there's nothing happening there, buddy. Truth be told, the last word was said long ago.

The bottles stand as empty
as they were filled before
Time there was and plenty
but from that cup no more
Though I could not caution all
I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag
atop no ship of fools

- Robert Hunter

We are everywhere.

******

Update: Many thanks to Wildflower Seed, here's a wonderful version of SOTM featuring Branford Marsalis, Madison Square Garden, September 10, 1991.


powered by ODEO



Circumventing technological booboos since 2006.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the wonderful version :)

11/08/2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

all due to WS - his idea, his uploading, his code i cut and pasted.

ship of fools has been on my mind considering i spent half the weekend trying to upload a version to odeo. sotm only came to me when i chanced upon that entry.

11/08/2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

:) Just spreading the vibe.

"We are everywhere"

For sure. A Deadhead may soon be the Speaker of the House. Her voting record gives me hope.

11/08/2006 10:51 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

ws:
a kick in the ass is a shove in the right direction, right?

11/09/2006 1:58 AM  
Blogger MockTurtle said...

Well, irregularities or not, it looks like the good guys have won.
Hey WS, did you know that W is a big Van Morrison fan?

11/09/2006 5:50 AM  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

MT
Really? Good for him!

11/09/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

mt:
the "not-as-bad" guys, but yeah, i had not at all expected this. it's excellent!

mt, ws:
you know which album, right? "Inarticulate Speech of the Arse".

11/09/2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger Szerelem said...

"Inarticulate Speech of the Arse"
Bwahahahahahahahahahaz..........

11/09/2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Nice! I guess this is roughly what I and another blogger were talking about last night...which amounts to the text on a picture postcard I received a while ago: "I see stupid people" :-) I just love that, as I do

"Don't lend your hand to raise no flag
atop no ship of fools"

11/09/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger km said...

MT: "good guys"? :))

Didn't your state re-elect that Kennedy again? :D

11/09/2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger MockTurtle said...

@TR: Good one.
@KM: Who Teddy? Wellll... he's from good stock after all, so who cares about a drowned girl or two.

11/09/2006 9:08 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

szerelem:
i seem to have struck a chord :-D

ghost:
now *that's* a great t-shirt line.

km:
ya, ya, just because you went all blue!

mt:
thankee. free associations: drowned girl, chicken stock, woodstock, hippie chicken. it's all good.

11/10/2006 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And all the drama with VA having to go in for a recount. But woohoo at how things turned out. Faith is being restored. Slowly.

11/10/2006 7:18 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

no faith yet, lady. just don't wake me up yet.

11/11/2006 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home