Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Leaves

Flying back in the plane tilts and I look down to the ground. It is all shades of dull yellow, brown, and red. Punctuated by the green of the golf course we're passing. I remember the filters they used on O Brother, to give it the scorched look it had. I think of the hills of south California and how they may be clothed in similar colors as well.

This evening I sat in the back yard and looked up at the sky through the trees. The leaves on the left were yellow; those on the right still green. A rainbow arched through them and a passing jet intersected it making a Venn diagram in the sky. I remembered the leaves from yesterday.

I felt tired, but satisfied. Last year I'd been as exhausted, but the feedback this year, although less hyperbolic, came from people whose opinions matter to me, people I'd never imagined would say the things they did. That felt good, still does, and will for some time. But then last year's truism is dated no less: You overcommit, others underdeliver, people politic, backstab, snipe, gossip, and your true friends are the ones who are there when the chips are down, the ones who make you such that there will come a time when you won't need them even though you want to, which is why you will.

I threw a pebble in a brook
And watched the ripples run away
And they never made a sound
And the leaves that are green
Turned to brown

9 Comments:

Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Oy vey! One of my 'three good things about the USA' and then you quote that song.

Thank you, it's a huge relief from 'Rationale: Market Penetration for Enhanced Market Share'. (You're not alone, it sounds smutty to me too)

J.A.P.

10/30/2007 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very proud of you. and glad that you're not modest.

10/30/2007 4:45 PM  
Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Yes, me too. Good on yer, Prof!

J.A.P.

10/30/2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger Revealed said...

Yayy. Well done.

And I second Unkel ji: and then you quote that song. Now I have an overwhelming urge to go listen to my SnG collection.

10/30/2007 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was something about the place that left me more exhausted this year than last. Something about the residual depressive creepiness of Graceland that seeped into the conference retrospectively.

But there were some cool talks. And some hot people. And ducks, of course, always the duckies.

Sorry I missed your talks. I did almost walk into one but your co-author was presenting so I went and had myself a coffee instead. I'm sure it was more interesting than the coffee but the coffee had the aroma...

btw, "Where's the coffee at" is my new favorite phrase. That and "Fried Green Tomatoes". You think I could use either one as a title for a paper?

n!

10/31/2007 4:53 AM  
Blogger Ar said...

Whats up, TR? Long time...in a poetic mood huh? ;)

10/31/2007 6:20 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

jap, scout, revealed:
thank you most kindly :-)

n!:
ah that was the cool one. he's a great presenter and the britney spears and anna karenina moments were hysterical.

i think those titles are workable.

arun:
welcome back. poetic? you should check out the previous post.

10/31/2007 12:23 PM  
Blogger MockTurtle said...

Has it really been a year already? Where does all the time go?

11/01/2007 1:39 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

no kidding, man.

11/01/2007 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home