Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Thursday, July 03, 2008

All over the place

Earlier this week, attending a dissertation proposal defense, I looked around the room. The person on the hot seat was a Brazilian. The two co-chairs were Dutch and Thai. The three other committee members were from India, Benin via Canada, and (yes) American. And the lone spectator, the candidate's junior picking up tips while giving moral support, was Japanese.

And I thought -- another little reason why I love my job.

8 Comments:

Blogger Szerelem said...

I don't like people who make blanket statements like "I love my job."

7/03/2008 8:41 PM  
Blogger ??! said...

szer:
but I do too!

...oh, but you hate that, don't you? ummm...Ivanisevic!

7/03/2008 11:20 PM  
Blogger gaddeswarup said...

TR,
Just a query. Are all from the same university? In a few cases I knew, all examiners for the theses were from the same university and in one case a wrong thesis was passed. It all seemed to be up to the advisor.

7/04/2008 6:19 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

szerelem, ??!:
but other blanket statements are okay?

swarup:
heh, actually, one of the co-chairs was not -- he was from here but he moved two years ago. and two of the committee members were from different departments.

7/04/2008 7:46 PM  
Blogger km said...

What, no Inuit and Ik people?

7/04/2008 8:36 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

dunno -- they probably prefer the hard sciences.

7/05/2008 11:31 PM  
Blogger ??! said...

tr/szer:
that wasn't the most correctly constructed sentence. I meant to say "I love my job too", which would explain why Szer hates it.

7/07/2008 6:26 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

oh, i see. but not the connection...

7/07/2008 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home