Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Friday, March 03, 2006

The Concert for George

Long Time. $%&^ing Busy. Life Happens.

But last night I managed to make the time to pop open my Concert for George DVD. There are two disks, one with the full concert and one with the theatrical release version plus extras. I went for the full concert.

Highlights:

1. I Need You. I'd always regarded this song as a bit of a filler, but somehow seeing it being performed made the mundane-blah lyrics somehow poignant. Said you had a thing or two to tell me. Well, yes, this was good.

2. Something. Again the I-don't-know-what factor, but something in the way this song moves me. Heckuva number.

3. Dhani and Anoushka. The baton passes, I hope. Dhani looked fifteen, playing rhythm as if he were glad the big boys were letting him play with them, and he intended to square his shoulders and broaden his chest while he was at it. It was very interesting how EC kept looking back at him, to check if he was okay. Made me wonder -- George sure did his own thing when he was the same age, didn't he? Anoushka performed a very nice piece, typical Ravi Shankar (you could almost see the Pather Panchali visuals). But then she ruined it by "conducting" a grand composition -- sort of like doing calisthenics on the spot, with an ever-decreasing wing span. Should have just played.

4. The Pythons. As ever! My lumberjack fascination continues.

Biggest disappointment -- The solo on My Guitar Gently Weeps. EC took all the feeling out of it! No weeping, tragic.

Other big disappointment -- The sound quality. I tried the two channel stereo, the 5.1 Dolby, and the DTS, finally settling on the DTS, but none of them were good. The sound was muddy right through. Not good.

Old fart section -- I remember when George died, Phil and Friends were playing six nights at the Beacon. I, with my typical bullet-in-foot planning, had elected to go for the first two nights (or some such thing). The third night was when he died. The fourth night, they pulled out a bunch of great covers. I remember sitting at home following the chat page on thephilzone, as folks inside the Beacon called out with updates on the setlist, and feeling like a complete moron.

Final philosophical comments -- None. It was an evening well spent vegetating in front of the telly.

10 Comments:

Blogger km said...

The place where I just bloody choked up with tears was at Joe Brown's performance (and when Paul or EC talks about Dhani...)

Not to go all philosophical here, but I felt this concert was a beautiful summation (and reflection) of George's character.

Would *any* other living legend receive such a wonderful, heartfelt tribute? I doubt it. And to have all those amazing musician-friends...what more can one ask for in life? Well, enough pomposity for a comment :))

3/04/2006 12:03 AM  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/04/2006 2:59 AM  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

Be sure to check out Niladri Kumar. I think the baton has passed over all right.

3/04/2006 4:16 AM  
Blogger kundalini said...

i agree with v. i heard anoushka live recently. was not very impressed. i also heard niladri kumar live recently, and......no comparison. he's been in every player :).

check out the album IF when you get the chance.

3/04/2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/04/2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

km:
It's funny, but I didn't get that feeling at any point. In fact, and maybe because, the show came across as a little stage-managed to me. On the flip side though, the good thing was that it never descended into sentimentality. I totally agree with the decision to let viewers take from the performances what they may.

Would any other living legend receive such a tribute? Hmmm, I don't really know. Part of the point is that we don't really know anything about their "characters". People might love BB King's music to bits, but who knows whether he kicks dogs backstage? And you can bet that every legend who passes away will be feted with all pomp, since most if not all the remaining legends will not want to appear churlish by staying at home on such a night.

For my part, I sit back and hope that the frequency of these events stays as low as it possibly can.

vb, k:
Thanks for the tip.

comment deleted:
I agree with you.

3/04/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Oh goody, lots of music here...I know I'll like the blog! :-)

Haven't seen the concert you're discussing but I'll be back...

Thanks for visiting.

3/04/2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

GoTJ:
Thanks, and see you soon!

3/04/2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

Must 'fess up to being the author of those deleted comments. I was trying to say - in addition to having picked up the baton from Ravi Shankar, NK has also picked up the baton from another person - Shawn Lane.

There, much better this time around!

3/05/2006 12:51 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

Liek I said, I agree with you :-D

3/06/2006 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home