Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Horror, Madness, Hordes

Soundbites.

Horror. The Mumbai blasts. Shocking, senseless, and intensely worrying. Thankfully, my brother-in-law was traveling on work. Other relatives, and friends we have contacted, are okay. But the fact that the blasts hit the Western line - where I spent so many miserable hours of my formative years - and that too the first class carriages, makes me very uneasy indeed. Very close to home. How many hundreds of people would have died, rocking home from their lifeless corporate existence?

All that's not to say that there's nothing we can learn from this. CNN, that august source, tells me about something I hadn't known of till today:

The Western Railway system -- which 4.5 million people use daily -- was shut down and Mumbai's subway system put on high alert after the blasts.

Subway system. Cool.

Madness. In other news, Syd Barrett also dies. Farewell, friend of my childhood.

I've got a bike you can ride it if you like it it's got two wheels and a handlebar to make it make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it

Hordes. My last post on the Zidane incident got picked up by desipundit (thanks, KM!) and, interestingly, slate.com. That post has garnered over 700 hits in the 24 hours till now -- people checking in from places as dispersed as Peru, Japan, Bahrain, South Africa, and my favorite, Trinidad! And France. But not a single Italy. Good grappa, eh.

Very sobering.

9 Comments:

Blogger wildflower seed said...

"Farewell, friend of my childhood."

Feel bad that I didnt do a pilgrimage while I was in the parts.

"and, interestingly, slate.com"

Interesting! :)

7/12/2006 1:48 AM  
Blogger km said...

Slate.com! Mon Dieu! So how does it feel to join blog royalty?

7/12/2006 4:29 AM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

When I'm in Bombay, and decide to visit a friend who lives really far away, I take the train from Bandra at precisely the time that these blasts happened. Could've been me, wow!

700 hits, eh...so, now we're famous :-)

7/12/2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger D said...

@ TR - nicely put! "Farewell, friend of my childhood". It definitely made me sad today afternoon..

7/12/2006 1:04 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

vb, gift:
oh well.

vb, km, ghost:
interesting indeed. big brother is watching you, innit. would have felt good, but for the other news of the day.

7/12/2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

ps. ghost:
yeah, anonymously famous. wow. instead of the other way round.

7/12/2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Incidents like this that hit so close to home hit the hardest. Devastating!
Not much I can say here.

7/12/2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger socket32 said...

i was kind of startled to read subway too.
you think they're not naming names right now to stop unleashing any backlash? the statue 'defiling' seemed to have laid the seed in that direction

7/13/2006 3:28 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

m:
i know.

socket:
yes, i agree. sounds plausible. the subway thing is just a reflection of the sheer cluelessness of the american media.

7/13/2006 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home