Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Limin' wid de Chutney

It's been a long time since there's been any music on this blog.

There's some Wonderland left in me still, so I thought I'd share a little chutney -- something that got missed out in the previous posts. Chutney (as opposed to any of the several phenomenal varieties of pepper sauce, all of which go by the name "pepper sauce") is the name given to the music of the people of Indian origin in the Caribbean. I walked into Clive's, probably the only legal CD store in Port of Spain, and took my chances with a couple of disks. I loved what I heard -- infectious, irreverent, recognisably Indian, and a whole lot of fun. So here's to limin', and here's some chutney.

Larki -- Terry Gajraj

Yeah I really want a larki
but afraid to get marry
The gal dem nowadays
they wear out your face
ruck up your ways
And put you in your place.
Shaadi na shaadi na shaadi na...

Nowadays de gal dem only love to lime
You have a hundred dollar
Dey wan' ninety-nine.

You marry a young girl
you live your life in hell
Though you have a wife you have a mother in law as well

Nowadays you married
you have to learn to share
Tom, Dick and Harilal keeping you out there
She sure to have a sweet man
hornin' you out there.

A few others:

Rum Shop -- Dil-e-Nadaan (a band recommended to me by the guy I sat next to at the Queens Park Oval, the one who treated me to six alcoholic drinks during the course of one afternoon)
Basanti -- Adesh Samaroo
Dadiya Mory Lay Lay -- Babla and Kanchan
Dhal Belly Indian -- Videsh Soohoo

And if you liked any of these, there's more where that came from. Wine on!

Update:
I'm mortified that I missed out on linking this one -- compulsory listening for every fan of classic Bollywood.

Hey....
Listen Mr. Shankar
You say this guy's a drunkard
You don' wan' me to marry yer daughter
But you're doin' me a favour
Coz I don't wan' your daughter
She jam up the elevator
(Morerumforme morerumforme morerumforme)
-- D'Hitman (Neshan Prabhoo)

13 Comments:

Blogger wildflower seed said...

:)

Good stuff! Dil-e-Nadaan is a cool name. Thanks.

7/15/2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

http://www.rafimohammed.com/artistes/dil_e_nadan.html

Check out the cultural icons page for some interesting naming science.

7/15/2006 11:23 PM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Larki sounds nice :-)

For two days, most of us haven't been able to log on to or read any blog, including our own. It might interest you to know that, at this moment, I've reached yours through pkblogs.com, which is used by people in Pakistan to log on to and read blogs...b'cos their government has blocked Blogger.com. We're beginning to suspect that pretty much the same has happened here. Interestingly, I can go to blogger.com and sign in but there's isn't much more that I can do after that. It's through one of those Blogger Help groups that I found out about pkblogs and was able to read blogs again. Interestingly, again, it's only people like myself, who use MTNL broadband and dial-up services who're unable to read blogs. Apparently, those who subscribe to AirTel and Sify, etc., aren't having any such problem. Strange, isn't it? Of course, one can be wrong in assuming that MTNL has blocked Blogger but until a better explanation comes along, I'm going with this.

7/16/2006 1:30 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

vb:
thanks for the link :-)

ghost:
this is a very interesting developing story. i've been tracking it since it broke -- wonder what's going on!

btw, did you actually hear the song or just read the lyrics? all the links to songs are to audio files - my post wasn't clear about that. wondering whether i should add an update...

7/16/2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Oh, I just read the lyrics...will get to the audio once this mess is sorted out.

Coming back to the post, the lyrics and song titles sound interesting enough :-)

7/16/2006 7:32 PM  
Blogger kundalini said...

:):)

7/17/2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger sattva said...

hi TR, sorry to cut the smiles half-way...but half the songs i downloaded from here are refusing to play :( tried downloading again, not happening. any suggestions?

7/17/2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

ghost:
hope the blogger thing gets sorted out - more importantly, hope you get a chance to listen to these gems :-)

k:
exactly.

sattva:
oops. i'm not sure - i never tried downloading them. I just right-click and open in new window, and they start playing by themselves. maybe something went wrong with the downloading of one song and that screwed up all the others. have you tried closing all browser windows and starting again?

7/17/2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger km said...

Something tells me I've just found the perfect new soundtrack for rum-soaked summer weekends.

BTW, isn't this what they call "chutney" music? (or is that the one with reggae rhythms and Bihari words?)

7/17/2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger km said...

Ignore my previous comment. It was the lack of rum talking. Next time, I'll read all your posts, including the title, with both my eyes open.

7/18/2006 1:45 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

km:
that's a great couple of comments to read first thing in the morning :-D

7/18/2006 8:20 AM  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Ooh I love chutney music. Have you heard the chutney classic "Phulouri bina chutney kaise bani"?

And here's a chutney song doing the rounds at Youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyy32qFPyow&search=mor%20tor

7/20/2006 4:20 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

tm:
brilliant, thanks!

7/20/2006 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home