Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Saturday, December 16, 2006

R.I.P., Ahmet Ertegun



The man who gave voice to so many of the people I consider my favorite musicians. From John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, the Modern Jazz Quartet, and Ornette Coleman (not to speak of Duke Ellington and Dizzy Gillespie) to Ray Charles, Otis Redding, and Aretha Franklin, to CSNY, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Yes, and Dire Straits.

The fascinating story of the young Turkish boy who teamed up with his brother Nesuhi and the Jewish Jerry Wexler to become a central voice for Blacks in America, gradually helping the most influential nation of its century find the music it would come to call its own.

From the NYT obituary:

“I had to decide whether I would go into a scholastic life or go back to Turkey in the diplomatic service, or do something else,” he said. “What I really loved was music, jazz, blues, and hanging out.” And so, he told the students, he did what he loved.

Would that we all could follow our hearts to become such positive influences on the world we lived in.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no comments on your last 2 posts?

As you say, RIP. Here's another tribute.

12/17/2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

thanks, great link.

i've been unable to comment on a few blogs, including yours, over the last couple of days.

12/17/2006 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a tribute that i accidentally saw:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003915.html#more
The site seems good.

12/17/2006 10:25 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

thanks swarup, another nice obituary.

wonder what you meant by "accidentally saw", though. makes it sound like you were snooping around places your parents wouldn't have wanted you to :-D

12/18/2006 4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The site was recommended by somebody in the comments of a post in Marginal Revolution. I was browsing through it expecting posts on economic matters. My current aim is to understand a bit of economics. It seems a strange area. I do not seem to believe any thing I read there; may be there is some sort of empirical economics that is useful.

12/18/2006 6:06 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

swarup:
that is an absolutely *hilarious* comment. thank you! (my parents are both economists, as is my wife, and as was my father in law. hen-pecked doesn't begin to describe it :-D).

12/18/2006 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home