Nomological Net

Stray thoughts from here and there. The occasional concern for construct validity. No more logic. Fish.

Name:

faults in the clouds of delusion

Thursday, January 01, 2009

365 is my number

Back when I was a kid, there was this other kid who was a part of the crowd. He was a few years older than me and so he knew things I didn't and was able to teach me stuff and introduce me to stuff. Like for instance when my mother got me a spanking new Swiss army knife he told me that these things are so sharp you can draw blood without going deep enough to cause any pain. He was right -- I nicked the fleshy part of my thumb in a beautiful little red seam and didn't feel a thing.

He also introduced me to Pink Floyd and allowed me to copy his only Floyd cassette -- "A Collection of Great Dance Songs". And on side B he taped for me King Sunny Ade's Juju Music.

For some reason I've had King Sunny Ade on my mind, the last few days.

I dug up a few audio tracks on youtube and discovered that despite it being well over ten years since I last heard them, they were as fresh and musical to my ears as ever. So I found and ordered the CD on Amazon. It's been sitting at a warehouse in Kentucky since December 28, so I'm listening to Sunny Ade on youtube again. I just heard Ja Funmi (which I now realize, despite the easy fluency of the music, means "Fight for me"). Next I'm going to listen to this gem of a track, the title track, as it were, for this post. The utterly charming refrain goes as follows:

Honey!
Dani dat's my numba
Tell me
Anything you wan' from me
But den you have to give yo' love to me
365 is my numba ya!

All of which is a long way of saying HAPPY NEW YEAR, all of y'all. Be good and work hard and go see live music and don't let the evildoing get to you.

4 Comments:

Blogger sattva said...

you musicophiles :) i love the "work hard and go see live music"!! but i think u're right...people like me dont watch enough concerts.have a good year.

1/06/2009 3:20 PM  
Blogger km said...

I nicked the fleshy part ...didn't feel a thing.

Ha, comfortably numb thumb?

A very happy 2009 to you.

I think I am going to dedicate at least a whole month listening to nothing but "African" music. So thanks for the links.

1/08/2009 10:39 AM  
Blogger ??! said...

Your blog subtitle should have "go see live music". It's like a motto.

1/13/2009 7:15 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

it *is* a motto. but it's e pluribus unum.

1/14/2009 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home